Clinical Toxicology/Drugs of Abuse Committee
Pretoria, South Africa
Clinical Toxicology/DOA Committee
Toronto, ON, Canada
Background & Purpose of the Committee
To promote and advance the discipline of Clinical Toxicology within the Association by:
- Developing relevant practice guidelines, when appropriate, in particular fields of clinical toxicology and drugs of abuse testing;
- Publishing articles and other professional notes in the field of clinical toxicology and drugs of abuse in the Newsletter and on the web page;
- Assist in the holding of specialist workshops and symposia at the IATDMCT Congresses;
- Developing links and partnerships with other relevant professional societies; and
- Attracting new members to the Association with interests in clinical toxicology and drugs of abuse.
Committee Initiatives for 2016/2017
- Contributions to Compass:
- Neuman: Alcohol and organ damage – 1st newsletter 2016
- Touw: A review/tox case – 2nd newsletter 2016
- Rentsch: TBA – 3rd newsletter 2016
- Johnson-Davis: TBA – 1st newsletter 2017
- Franssen: TBA – 2nd newsletter 2017
- Steenkamp: TBA – 3rd newsletter 2017
- Kwong and Sun to be asked to provide contributions
- Participate in joint meetings with other Associations:
- AACC Symposium
- IATDMCT European regional meeting: Turkey
Committee Initiatives Completed in 2014/2015
- Contributions to Compass (2014)
- Neuman: Alcohol interactions with drug of use. A therapeutic misadventure.
- Himes/Huestis: Liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry assay for 20 antiretrovirals in meconium.
- Meyer/Maurer: High-resolution MS (HRMS) in clinical and forensic toxicology and drug metabolism studies.
- Ketha/Langman: Lessons Learnt at the Clinic- Laboratory Monitoring of Rivaroxaban.
- Neuman: Report on the 8th Conference of the Romanian Association of Medical Laboratories.
- McMillin: Report on the 19th Dubai International Pharmacy Conference and Exhibit
- Contributions to Compass (2015)
- Touw: A severe case of methyl ethyl ketone peroxide intoxication that was successfully treated with a combined treatment with N-Acetylcysteine and haemodialysis, a case report.
- Neuman: Hangover and Antihangover.
- Wong: Personalized/Precision/Predictive Medicine and Personalized Justice – A President’s View from 30,000 feet.
- Johnson-Davis, McMillin, Signorelli: Nicotine Metabolite Testing.
- Neuman: Report on the Proceedings of the alcohol symposium held in Israel.
- Conference/workshop organizing/hosting (2014)
- Steenkamp – organizing and scientific committee of World Congress of Pharmacology, Cape Town, South Africa, 13-18 July 2014, in which IATDMCT held a symposium
- Langman – Clinical and Analytical Issues of New Designer Drugs, Chair/Program Developer, AACC 2014 Annual Meeting, Symposia, Chicago, Illinois, 07/2014 sponsored by the IATDMCT
- Rentsch – organizing and scientific committee of Annual Assembly of the Swiss Society for Clinical Chemistry, Basel, Switzerland, 29-31 November 2015 Invited lectures
- McMillin – presented a symposium (pharmacogenetics) and a workshop (detection of neonatal drug exposures) at DUPHAT on behalf of IATDMCT in March, 2014
- Neuman – IATDMCT- regional symposium, Sibiu Romania 6-8 June, 2014, 5th Balkan Course of Hepatology, Bucharest, Romania, 3 October, 2014: Alcohol and Liver
- Other Activities
- IATDMCT meeting in Rotterdam (2015)
Alcohol and drugs of abuse: a deadly combination: Manuela Neuman
Toxins and Adverse reactions: Vanessa Steenkamp
New designer drugs: Marilyn Heustis
Developments in paracetamol intoxications: Nick Bateman
Clinical toxicology and poison information: Frank Jansman
Use of pharmacogenetics in resolution of post-mortem cases: Saeed Jortani
Controversies in treatment of toxicological cases: Loralie Langman
Alcohol detection in hair: Pascal Kintz
- Pre-conference symposium
Novel psychoactive substances – A toxicological challenge: Hans Maurer
- Neuman – symposium "Alcohol and the Liver- A new challenge". Israel, January 20, 2015
- McMillin, Clarke, Marzinke – A survey of Personalized Medicine: the PGx, PK and PD of it All. Symposium held at the American Association for Clinical Chemistry (AACC) 2015 meeting in Atlanta
- Various members – talks/posters at IFCC EuromedLab in Paris
- McMillin – submission of a symposium proposal for the American Association for Clinical Chemistry (AACC) 2015 meeting, developed with support from IATDMCT.
- Activities associated with committee – outside IATDMCT -Refer to annual report on website, submitted earlier in 2015
Additional Committee Resources
Items marked with an * are Member Only, login required.